Adapters

(Brandon) #1

Does anyone know if I was to purchase an adapter for my ev if it would charge faster? What I’m thinking is getting an adapter for the Chademo to the Sae j-1772 dc fast charger. Just not sure if it would charge faster or not. Thanks!

(osbrook) #2

It will not charge faster. The in built charger is limited to approx 10amps even if more is available.

(Brandon) #3

Thanks so much!

(Kuki Bajker) #4

Why I have info that Twizy charges at 16A / 3,6kW. This is realy strange, beacouse that should charge Twizy’s 6,1 kW/h batery from empty to full in 1,7 hours, not in 3,5 hours.

So regarding to charging time there is more like 10A / 1,75kW charging, or what?

If anyone have that info, would be realy fine, beacouse I have the charging socket conected to 16A / 3,5kW Sonoff POW via relay contactor and if there is realy only 10amps needed, I could conect it directly and follow the consumption directly on the eWeLink app from Sonoff.

(osbrook) #5

As the charger and cable have no intelligence built in then there is no way to tell the charger it can pull more than 10amps.

I have connected directly to 16amp supplies and it has not helped. It still takes approx 2 mins per 1% or just over 3.33 hours.as the few percent take longer.

Osbrook is right, although I always find charging off 7kw or 22kw chargers gives me a better range, absolutely no idea why but my best ranges have been off public chargers (47 miles for reference off a full charge)

(Frank Demes) #7

The chargers of the first genaration could charge with aprox. 10A AC

But they ran to hot and failed with a high procentage.

So Renault set the amparage to 8A AC very early in 2013.

You can still differentiate the old charger from the new ones, because the fan ran exactly 8 hours after charging started.

The charger puts about 32A DC into the main battery.
but the connector is only rated to about 50-60A DC.
The contactor in the battery is defenetly only capeable of 50A DC.

There where several atemps to boost chraging speed over the years (extra 20-30A DC from a second charger) but they fried the connector and killed the contactor when the original charger turned off the battery.

So even if you replace the charger with something else (that can talk the twizy protocol) you are limited by other components.

(Frank Demes) #8

Dave I can tell you why!
Public chargers are a few miles away.
So you arrived with a slightly warmer battery :wink:

(John Wilson) #9

Chademo is DC, Twizy uses 230v ac.

(Frank Demes) #10

And even if you could harvest the 300-400V DC from a chademo you have talk to it first :wink:
Same with CCS, but just more complicated (and licence bound).

Its unfortunate that so many people refer to a type 2 (or type1) mains outlet as a charger. It isnt. Its simply a mains outlet that talks to your vehicle before it turns on the power, ensuring your built in AC charger doesnt try and use a higher current than it can supply. Or cuts back the charge rate to suit the maximum that the charge outlet can deliver. Ie plug a 7kw leaf into a 3kw charge outlet and the leaf will cut back its charge rate to suit the outlet. If it didnt , the charge outlet would not turn itself on.
Even if you dont stop the charger , but just unplug the car from the unit, the power is turned off. Thats why strictly speaking adaptors that allow a twizy to use a type 2 are not following the guidance. Thats also why I only ever make such cables that are less than 0.5m long ensuring they can never trail on the ground at a public charge point. Never have such an adaptor that can reach the ground, as it will still be live if the vehicle is unplugged and if its a 13a even a covered one laying it on the wet ground isnt a good idea.
A Chademo (and CCS) charger is actually directly connected to your traction battery and how it charges is controlled by communication with your vehicle, if it is so equiped…
In theory Chademo should be able to charge down below 100v dc , but very few Chademo chargers have actually been built to do this. Since most modern EVs with DC charging have pack voltages in the 300+v range, its of little value to make your DC charger function at a voltage it will never get expected to work at.
So plugging your twizy that has its charger built into it (as do most vehicles) into a 32amp 7kw charge outlet will make no difference to how it charges.