After market heater...er... don't

maintenance

(system) #1

My wife lovingly bought me a 12v heater for christmas… It worked for 10sec’s before blowing the fuse (7.5amp). My friendly dealer gave me a new one for free. No info on the box to tell me what the current draw was on the heater, so gave it a try to please my Mrs as she thought it would be more comfortable for my feet. Funny they still had the same Twizy in the show room and the same union jack wrap courtesy car. Parts guy admitted they had sold only 3 locally.

(Normsthename) #2

Some of the Car Heaters draw 150 Watts which works out to 12.5amps…
Maplins sell one with a 15A inline fuse so I am not surprised the Twizy 7.5A fuse blew! :slight_smile:
I know a few years ago I wanted to power something off of the accessory Socket and found that there appeared to be a couple of standards.
The lower standard the Twizy obviously has, but other cars will happily run the 15A Heater that Maplin sell.

Andy

(ecofunkytravel) #3

I expect the Twizy’s 12V battery is designed for very small continous loads and will have quite a small capacity. Although it functions as a normal car battery, it is much smaller and since it doesn’t have to provide the 100+ amps necessary to start an engine, I guess they would design it to be as light and efficient for the loads it is meant to support. The biggest drain would normally be the heated windscreen, which must be around 15A, I’d have thought.

Why did you buy the twizy and has it lived up to expectations
(system) #4

I did wonder about upgrading the fuse but wasn’t certain that the wiring loom would cope

(Normsthename) #5

I did wonder about upgrading the fuse but wasn’t certain that the wiring loom would cope

Don’t do it!
At best the wiring will get warm, second best melt and third catch fire…
Its not the battery size that is the problem, like has been said if it was a Fossil Fuel Engine it could deliver 200Amps for starting.
I would say that the heated Windscreen would draw more than 15Amps but not sure, What does the Manual say?
I saw that the French Company that has just bought out the Lockable Windows are working on a Heater for the Twizy.
I bet they will tap into the Traction Battery for it to be any good.
The G-wiz has a Heater and that uses the full 48volts that the Battery Pack puts out.

Andy

(mender) #6

Don’t! Not only is it a fire risk, it would void the warranty if any problems were caused.

Hot water bottle?

(system) #7

The 12v battery in the Twizy is a Motorcycle battery – so expect similar current capabilities there.

I don’t think you’d have a problem if you created your own 12V accessory line, with an in-line fuse and appropriate cabling back to the 12V battery itself.

But yeah, not so ideal :wink:

The 12V accessory socket has a 150w Limit on it doesn’t it? I know I’ve blown it using a tyre compressor before…

(mender) #8

Page 3.3 of the Twizy owner’s guide says the accessory socket is 65w, posted this before on the heated jacket thread…seems low!

(Normsthename) #9

Page 3.3 of the Twizy owner’s guide says the accessory socket is 65w, posted this before on the heated jacket thread…seems low!

That works out to only 5.4 Amps

I don’t think you’d have a problem if you created your own 12V accessory line, with an in-line fuse and appropriate cabling back to the 12V battery itself.

That will work fine as long as you use cable big enough to carry the Current :slight_smile:

Andy

(system) #10

The G-Wiz one isn’t really a heater but a blower and its just cold air that comes out. Trust me I’ve done 4 winters in it.

(Normsthename) #11

The G-Wiz one isn’t really a heater but a blower and its just cold air that comes out. Trust me I’ve done 4 winters in it.

Sounds about as good as my Current Petrol Microcar, at best that blows barely warm!
The only use I find for it is to tell me if the Cooling system is low on water (it currently has a massive Coolant leak from somewhere)
When the Coolant is dangerously low the heater blows out cold air!
Cant wait to get my Twizy and get away from Fossil Fuel! :smiley:

Andy