Auto Express issue 1239 17thOct Article: Charging Charges

(system) #1

Table of costs for charging Renault Zoe, Nissan Leaf and Vauxhall Ampera (16kwh motor). Cant find the article on their site. States that a Leaf on an Npower cheap rate would cost £208 per year based on 12,000 miles and a 75mile range. Interesting the Ampera with an output closer to the Twizy costs 0.86p on their night rate. The moral was to check exactly when the peak rate started or ended to avoid being excessively charged. A spokesman mention the battery charging issue with regard to fast charging - ‘batteries prefer to be charged slowly.’

(system) #2

Auto express did a Nissan Leaf / charging point journey from London to Birmingham Bull ring using fast charge points from Ecotricity (one in Souh Mimms, one Oxford), using a network of fast chargers. Had issues with the chargecard, non-functioning charger, a dealer whose unit was faulty etc. On the return journey they were so concerned that they turned off all the heating and accessories to be certain, wrapping themselves up in blankets and gloves! Made me think about Twizy journeys!

(system) #3

Not a very good ad for ecotricity I was thinking of switching to them but makes you wonder ?
It seems that the newer charge points are not 3 pin is there a converter for they twizy?

(system) #4

I think it was the newness of the system that caught them out on the Journey… EcoFunkyTravel has a conversion lead I think.

(osbrook) #5

Aminorjourney has one and some pictures. Could ask her for the pics.

(system) #6

do you have a url for that story?

(system) #7

The connector standard adopted for public charging by most countries in Europe is IEC 62196 Type 2 (also known as “Mennekes” after the manufacturer who developed it);

13A “3 pin” sockets are no longer eligible for grants in the UK and are being phased out from public Charging Stations.

Nikki has developed an adaptor that allows a 13A plug to be used on a Type 2 Charging Station.

(system) #8

The connector standard adopted for public charging by most countries in Europe is IEC 62196 Type 2 (also known as “Mennekes” after the manufacturer who developed it);

13A “3 pin” sockets are no longer eligible for grants in the UK and are being phased out from public Charging Stations.

Nikki has developed an adaptor that allows a 13A plug to be used on a Type 2 Charging Station.

(system) #9

No URL I have had a search… Do have a link to a recent Twizy article…http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/renault/twizy/61739/renault-twizy-third-report