Charge point hopping through UK - possible?

(zeemeerman2) #1

Is it at the moment technically possible to go from Dover to Edinburgh/Glasgow with the Twizy?
Are there enough charge points that you can be sure to charge the Twizy once every 50 miles?

I’d like to try out (read: test-drive with) the Twizy UK Windows before I buy them. I accept the fact that I need to travel to Scotland (all the way from Belgium). I’d like to do this somewhere between now and August, and if possible with my Twizy and a ship from Calais to Dover.

Thank you for reading.

(system) #2

In reality you would need to charge more often than every 50 miles because the charge points will not be spaced exactly 50 miles apart, and unless you are travelling at a slow speed your range will be less than 50 miles per charge. Although I would guess that if you were to embark on an epic 2 week 500 mile journey in a Twizy (just to try some windows???) then the general public would be happy to plug you into their mains supplies along the way.

(system) #3

It’s a tall order. I’ve been driving electric cars for nearly seven years now, and I’d not do it in anything except a Renault Zoe or Tesla Model S – something that can refuel easily, quickly, fast.

That said, you could do it in the Twizy – but I wouldn’t recommend it…

If you really want to do it, here’s what I suggest:

1. Upgrade the Twizy’s Charger, so that it charges to full in an hour.

2. Include a Mennenkes upgrade so that you can use any public Type 2 Charging Station.

3. Use the Channel Tunnel not the ferry – at least that uses electricity :wink:

4. Think LONG and HARD about what it says doing this trip in the Twizy. You’re opening yourself up for a lot of criticism and a lot of potential things can go wrong. Why exactly do you want to do it in a Twizy? Why not rent a larger EV for the trip? I regularly make long-distance EV trips in my Nissan Leaf (I only use the Twizy for trips under 40 miles) but the reality of it is that it takes a long time. For example, for me to get to London from Bristol takes me about 3.5 hours, versus 2 hours in our Toyota Prius. I’ll do it because I enjoy it, and I would rather save the petrol money. Tomorrow, I’m driving from Bristol to Nottingham, and then onto Leeds on Wednesday. But that’s because I have to take an EV to film some stuff there. And I’ve only agreed to do the trip because I have multiple backups for charging.

There are large swathes of the country which aren’t Twizy friendly. It’s going to be one heck of a trip… And it could cause as much bad press as good press.

Nikki.

(zeemeerman2) #4

Okay… I’ll rethink about it.

But you made me curious. How do you upgrade the charger? I didn’t think it would be possible. Also, I’m a complete newbie at electricity and have two left hands at using everything more complex than a hammer.
Is there an adapter you can buy? I did not find anything like that. The only adapter I know that fits on a Twizy is an international charger converter thingy. (for charging at European, UK and USA chargers)

(Julianh) #5

[quote=“aminorjourney;4351”]It’s a tall order. I’ve been driving electric cars for nearly seven years now, and I’d not do it in anything except a Renault Zoe or Tesla Model S – something that can refuel easily, quickly, fast.

That said, you could do it in the Twizy – but I wouldn’t recommend it…

If you really want to do it, here’s what I suggest:

1. Upgrade the Twizy’s Charger, so that it charges to full in an hour.

2. Include a Mennenkes upgrade so that you can use any public Type 2 Charging Station.

3. Use the Channel Tunnel not the ferry – at least that uses electricity :wink:

4. Think LONG and HARD about what it says doing this trip in the Twizy. You’re opening yourself up for a lot of criticism and a lot of potential things can go wrong. Why exactly do you want to do it in a Twizy? Why not rent a larger EV for the trip? I regularly make long-distance EV trips in my Nissan Leaf (I only use the Twizy for trips under 40 miles) but the reality of it is that it takes a long time. For example, for me to get to London from Bristol takes me about 3.5 hours, versus 2 hours in our Toyota Prius. I’ll do it because I enjoy it, and I would rather save the petrol money. Tomorrow, I’m driving from Bristol to Nottingham, and then onto Leeds on Wednesday. But that’s because I have to take an EV to film some stuff there. And I’ve only agreed to do the trip because I have multiple backups for charging.

There are large swathes of the country which aren’t Twizy friendly. It’s going to be one heck of a trip… And it could cause as much bad press as good press.

Nikki.[/quote]

That’s interesting, I didn’t know you could upgrade the charger. Or include a mannenkes charger. How do you do that?

(osbrook) #6

You cannot upgrade the charger, or at least it not an option or even third party add on. I suspect it never will be for rented batteries in case of damage.
The type 2/Mennenkes connector is really a socket convertor. Nikki made one and commercial ones are available for a price.

(system) #7

I know some guys in Germany are looking at additional chargers, and it’s something Leaf drivers are also doing. I’m not sure what you’d find in terms of lease warranty breaking if you DID change the charger, but the hints from the Germans are that it can handle much more than 10A in its stock setup.

There are some chargers out there which piggy-back on the original charger and provide more power. Brusa does one, but it isn’t cheap. :frowning:

Also, (as a side thought) I’d say that realistically you’d want to recharge every 30 miles. I reckon 40 miles is a realistic range on the open road when taken steadily, but 30 miles at full pelt is about all you’ll get.

As for the Type2 mod? I’ve got a small box which allows me to use a Type 2 charging station with my Twizy. Eventually, I want to put a Mennenkes socket on it (hidden behind the Renault Badge like on the Zoe) But that will have to wait until I have a little more money and time. I don’t want to screw that up! :slight_smile:

Nikki.