Door Operation

maintenance

(Trevor) #1

Has anyone else noticed that when the weather is cold the doors lift a lot slower and maybe don’t make it all the way without assistance Compare this with summer when they pop up quite happily.

I was worried about mine until I went to the Service Centre some 25 miles away this week. A chilly morning and the doors needed help opening both here and in Poole. The when I collected Twizy they were super smooth. Oh I thought; they adjusted them. How nice…

An hour later after they had cooled down they were back to sluggish. Must be those viscous hinges!!! (or is that vicious)

(mender) #2

It is down to temperature, the doors are lifted by gas struts like on a car hatchback which are affected by the cold as the gas gives less pressure.
The Twizy was engineered in a warm climate and needs stronger struts for cold markets. When in a warm workshop for a while, they lift better, hence the reason they worked after.

It should be possible to replace them with more powerful after market units if it is a real problem for you.
We have had the same problem on a Malaysian car in the family-the factory boot struts do not work in the winter, so were swapped with Daihatsu struts which are higher pressure.

(Normsthename) #3

My Microcar is exactly the same, in Summer the rear boot door works fine.
As soon as cold weather arrives I have to hold the boot door open with my head when putting stuff in and out :smiley:

Andy