Handbrake release mechanism not working

Please help! My Twizy is my commuting vehicle.
My handbrake is stuck on. When I press the brake pedal, I cannot hear the usual ‘click’ of the handbrake locking mechanism, and the handbrake light on the dash doesn’t turn off. Since the mechanism is not working, I’m not able to push the button in on the handbrake (whilst pulling it towards me of course).
Any ideas?

(askho) #2

Can’t tell it there is a real problem. But first thing I will try is to switch “engine” on and off a few times and try releasing the handbrake each time. I find the Twizy quite temperamental sometimes. Things don’t work the first time but may work subsequently.

(osbrook) #3

This could be connected to a very old issue the early Twizys had. Assuming you have enough 12V power then what might have happened is the switch on handbrake level (NOT the button on the end) has moved and the switch is stuck. It is a matter of laying on the floor and looking up under the dash board at the wiring and the switch that is on the lever. Not easy to explain or even see.

Or it might be a fuse that has blown.

Failing that there is a way of releasing the handbrake without power but that will not fix your problem. It is not easy and again means grovelling around on the floor looking up under the dash.

This very fault happened to me last night whilst out and about. I had read the earlier posts yesterday. I therefore fumbled down on the right of the brake handle…no change! Then I tried the left hand side near the top…in the dark without looking…and hey presto, it clicked and I was able to release the hand brake and get home! Mental note to self… alway carry a torch and have a charged up mobile with speed dial to Renault Assist.

Renault ZE roadshow
Renault ZE roadshow
(osbrook) #5

@glowworm That only works if you have enough 12V power. What you need to do in the day light and dry is check if the switch is loose or just bent out of alignment. Easy fix.

Have a look at a small video I made in YouTube called Twizy sticking handbrake fix

Renault ZE roadshow

Hi all - thanks for the replies, really appreciated. Unfortunately the problem was a little out of my league (broken electrical cable somewhere, apparently). Thankfully the fault occurred in my driveway. I called Renault Assistance on Monday lunch saying it was a breakdown (technically it was…) and they sent someone out within the hour. He couldn’t fix it either, so he released the handbrake mechanically, and got someone from the recovery dept to pick it up Monday eve. Hire car company organised by Renault came and picked me up from work, issued the hire car (ghastly thing - Toyota Aygo). Then Wednesday afternoon I heard back from Renault, the fault had been fixed, and I picked my Twizy up Wednesday eve. So relieved to drive to work this morning with everything back to normal (the Aygo might’ve been enclosed in this freezing weather, but it sucked all the fun out of driving). Have to say I’ve been impressed by Renault’s service and speed on this one.

Renault ZE roadshow
(Leo R ) #8

I had This problem today, while blocking the gate at work :angry:

(Leo R ) #9

The repair guy was only able to loosen it a little, so he could move the Twizy just enough to put it on the truck.
He brought it to the Renault EV-dealer nearby, where I could get a Twizy Cargo until they have repaired mine.

(Leo R ) #10

Repaired by Renault EV dealer.
Unlock mechanism replaced. (under warranty, I didn’t even have to ask for it) :+1:

(Roel) #11

Even when your Twizy hit the road on 13-4-2012. (more than 4 years ago) #warranty

Service!

(Leo R ) #12

I must say that I am very happy with their service so far.
(thank you Stam Renault Nieuwegein!)

(Iain Rowan) #13

Well today my handbrake failed to release, called Renault Assitance who are coming to my house at 6pm… I had nipped home at lunch and ended up have to walk back to work. :frowning:

Will update once they have been.

(osbrook) #14

Very common fault on the early Twizys. Luckily very simple fix. Slide hand up the Handbrake lever and on the top edge is a simple switch that pressed on the lever. It is mounted on a poor design and some times misses. Just bend it back in to position. i only had to do this once in 4 years.

(osbrook) #15

I said this before :
This could be connected to a very old issue the early Twizys had. Assuming you have enough 12V power then what might have happened is the switch on handbrake level (NOT the button on the end) has moved and the switch is stuck. It is a matter of laying on the floor and looking up under the dash board at the wiring and the switch that is on the lever. Not easy to explain or even see.

(Leo R ) #16

I had to wait for a week because the dealer had to order a replacement part…
It is an early model (2012), however.

(Iain Rowan) #17

Well the breakdown service arrived last night, I was a bit shocked when Macadams turned up! I asked the driver if he knew about Twizys, he admitted to never even seeing one before…lol. He said Renault had sent him the mechanic manual…

anyway, after 5 mins he managed to release the handbrake. Obviously the release button mechanism is broke so it’s booked into Renault on Wednesday.

The breakdown guy was genuinely interested in the Twizy, he was talking to me about it for a good 10 minutes. :slight_smile:

(Betty) #18

Please share this video. The battery is dead we need to roll it to the charge point! Thanks Betty.

(osbrook) #19

Or roll it into a van to steel!