Home charging point

home-charging

(Andy Kirby) #1

I’ve seen numerous companies offering charge points installed for about £100 as part of the government homecharge grant scheme.

Obviously the Twizy doesn’t need to have a type 2 charge point but I’m thinking it would be nice to get one installed for future EVs and if anyone visits with an EV.

I also have a Symphony EV adapter which is what I use for the twizy when I’m out and about so it would be cool to use this at home too.

So what’s the deal? Has anyone else done this? Is it possible to get one of these points installed for cheap with a Twizy? And has anyone got any good recommendations for a company that does this?

Cheers!

Andy

(osbrook) #2

I actually got one under the old scheme when they were free! What people used to do was have the Type 2 point installed and then as the cabling was in drop a 13amp outdoor socket out of the type 2 box and plug the Twizy in there. It’s a cheap solution. An electrician doing the type 2 install could do it possible just for the cost of the outside socket and a pint.

Saves extra electrical connections and some one pinching the adaptor.

(Andy Kirby) #3

Good idea about the plug socket.

Well I’ve found some companies doing it for about £100 installed, I just need to work out which point is best.

Has anyone used these guys?

https://www.chargedev.co.uk/about

(osbrook) #4

I have under their old name. But that was nearly 6 years ago. Note they are very local to me. The team that did mine did a good job. Fairly easy cable run but an older style MCB that I didn’t think you could get the fuses for but they found a source.

(Andy Kirby) #5

Cool ok. My cable run is short but it does have to go behind cladding which has caused problems historically. I made an enquiry with that company and they’ve asked for a bunch of photos which is quite reassuring.

I see pod point are also doing chargepoints, seem expensive but look nice. But they connect to WiFi?? What’s that about?! I’m not sure I’m comfortable with someone watching what my chargers doing haha!

(osbrook) #6

To get the Government discount they want to see usage stats. Mine had to be connected via a supplied Vodaphone SIM not wifi. However after one year I turn off the point. I have never used it.

So mine was a waste of time having it connected to the SIM.

I’ve applied for one of the £99 points… will see if they commit!

(Andy Kirby) #8

I applied over the weekend but haven’t had a proper contact from someone yet. I Didn’t pay yet… did you??

(Dale Pearson) #9

Interested to hear how you guys get on with this.
What charge rates are you going for?

(osbrook) #10

No point in going for anything less than 32amp if your house fuse is big enough. Type 2 socket (no cable) unless you know what EV you are moving to.

(Andy Kirby) #11

Also be aware the Twizy can’t take more than 10A from the mains because that’s the rating of the built in charger.

I’m going for 32A as osbrook said there’s no point going for less if you house can take it.

Tethered cables are a pain, especially for us Twizy drivers I don’t know why some charging stations have them, maybe to stop us using adapters :unamused:

(Dale Pearson) #12

32A is that the 7.2kw charger?

(osbrook) #13

Yes Watts = Voltage * Amps

240V * 32amp = 7.68kw

Chargedev contacted me today. Twizy not on government list so not eligible for grant. Installation £600+ otherwise. Declined and arranged refund of £99.

(m1n1s) #15

They also don’t install on the Isle of Wight , refunded also.

(Andy Kirby) #16

I had a feeling that would happen when I found the eligible vehicles list. It’s a very streamlined list.

Oh well I think I’ll just find a decent sensibly priced charge point and get my sparky to install it, then I’ll have it ready for my next EV whatever that my be!

I wasn’t keen on being “monitored” anyway!

(osbrook) #17

Why bother then with an EV charge point. Just get the sparky to fit standard outdoor socket. Get a ‘proper’ EV charge point at the discounted rate when you get a bigger EV.

(Andy Kirby) #18

Good point, I can get the sparky to run a nice chunky armoured cable so it’s ready for a charge point later.

(Chris) #19

I fit charge points etc. The Rolec type 2 sockets with built in rcd are around £400 mark new then fitting on top. Most sparks I know charge around £200 mark to fit with certification. I just use an adapter to charge Twizy as we gave a Zoe also.