Just crashed... dam you sticking throttle!

(system) #81

Well it’s now 3 months and still waiting. I went away for a couple of days on Tuesday (27th) not expecting much from Renault. I got a call and a text confirming the tyre and my new windows were in the dealership woo hoo. Got back on Wednesday expecting to get my car today (30th)… rang my dealer - phone went dead on the switchboard. They tried to ring back but as the phone was just about to ring (on vibrate first), it rang off. I was out picking up my son (walking) and so didn’t return the call as I then had a meeting that went on until 5.30. So still sat waiting. My wife will hopefully leave the family car tomorrow (Friday) as it is now time to go to the body shop and get my car or there will be shots-at-dawn >:) If they can’t see how patient I have been waiting, then I certainly wouldn’t upgrade to the Zoe or Fluence (really falling in price)… Smart EV or Nissan Leaf I think it will have to be, but I bought the Twizy on a budget so am not sure I can stretch to these… Rock and a hard place

(system) #82

Don’t get the Fluence, its really just an ICE to EV conversion. The Zoe is a different beast entirely, shame your dealer is being so crap that it is influencing your next car purchase.

(system) #83

Yea… Twizle the Twizy is back in the Newsham family. Car was a mess and needed remedial work as I stood there… STILL needs a new wheel as the opposite wheel had a dent and had rusred over… missing fasteners… paint scratches and filthy with a sticky film that only the body shop could get off. Correct tyre pressures have improved the ride immensley. Apart from the metal frame, the Renault windows are awful, but the only ones they would fit after breaking mine. Saw the ZOE - what a lovely car that is.

(mender) #84

My goodness, Roger, you are a patient chap-after all this time I would have wanted it back as good as new with some goodwill for the huge time it took to fix it.
If it came back as you described, it would have been the last straw for me.

The ZOE looks great, but with the problems you have had with parts supply etc from Renault, would you risk investing in it?

(system) #85

Yes I think I have been very patient and will be letting Renault know. Customer services have been good regarding this second attempt at fixing my car, but it still took the supply chain a month to get all of the parts… and then to find it not in show room condition was insulting. I just wanted my car back really, but I made sure that the chap took photo’s and logged all of my snagging points. I did enjoy re-acquainting myself to the car with a thorough wash and wax; plastic trim back-to-black e.t.c. Had three people in 2 hrs asking me about my car on my drive… went for dinner with my daughter and had people standing by my car in the car park, taking pictures of themselves with it as we sat and watched from the window, eating our food and giggling at them. You are right in your observation of Renault though… could I trust they have the supply chain and even the trained the dealers, mechanics and body shop in it’s design, maintenance and repair. My experience with the Twizy after a year of sales is that it is still not ready. If they will not compensate me with hard cash - 3 months inconvenience e.t.c., then I would like a goodwill gesture - maybe a set of alloys would equal my three months train fare!

(mender) #86

Good luck with that :smiley:

(askho) #87

Hit a bloody polystyrene block on the road today with the Twizy. Immediately there was a horrible scrapping noise. Thought it was the block caught underneath the Twizy. It wasn’t. It was the front lower panel that holds the number plate. It was dislodged and scrapping along the ground. I managed to fit it back but the bottom of the panel is all scratched. Gutted!! Lucky the panel seems to have fitted back OK and the scratches are not too visible.

(mender) #88

Bad luck, but at least it’s driveable and the scratches are out of the way.

I run a body repair business and often repair scratches, so if it not really bad, use a blade to cut off loose scraggy edges, get a heat gun and a wet bunched up towel and heat the area to its softening point (400 degrees perhaps, use a ESD safe heat gun) then pat with the tightly bunched up damp towel to lose the scratches.
With a bit of practice, you can lose most of them and cover the rest with vinyl gel.

Or sand it smooth and spray with matching colour plastic paint.

(askho) #89

Thanks for the tip and advice.

(system) #90

I had a little Citroen AX that would do this, but it was due to a cramped footwell and the acc pedal too close to the brake pedal and my anglosaxon feet being too large, so when I braked I accelerated as well, truly alarming, I outed the car soon after, but drove in socks till then.

Tell me is the throttle connected via a cable? I find that hard to believe, I would have expected a box with the pedal attached to a rod (and the rod attached to a potentiometer or phto diode system as used in electronic keyboard pedals)
So did it physically stick, ie not spring back upwards? or was it something inside the box? Can this be ascribed to weather?, isnt it weather protected?

pls look into it more if you can, for safety’s sake

Sounds as ikf the Twizy should have a big red panic button on the dash, from whats been said, I would fit one

Robin

(mender) #91

It a drive-by-wire set up with a potentiometer in the pedal sending signals to the motor, the problem lay/lies with the pedal mechanism not having enough return springing to overcome certain conditions-in my case the damp

(system) #92

Oh WOW

speaking as a real engineer, that is so naff, so that Renault engineering???, simple pot and a weak spring!!!

i am gobsmacked

yes pots will work when you change the volume on your radio - thats ok

but anyone in the trade knows that pots are not reliable for mechanical application aka keyboard pedal on performance instruments, they went over to a photo diode system 15 years ago. Ta
hat is such an elementary mistake, that any REAL engineer would immediately know, and on such an important item like a throttle

ARE THEY 'AVING A Giraff

sorry its makes me mad

Robin

(mender) #93

Most cars now use DBW as it makes sense when setting up cars for both LHD and RHD as it is easier to route wires than cables to the engine.

Those who know me of old and/or off other forums know my love of the budget UK Toyota brand, Perodua, which use last gen Toyota tech on their current model; the Myvi.
This has the excellent engineering of the Yaris 1298cc vvti chain driven engine, with cable throttle, cable clutch, no DBW, no DMF, no complications and 100% reliability. We’ve had five and covered 320,000 miles across them with only service items and a couple of window switches.

The DBW was the right choice for an electric Twizy, but the issue is not the reliability of the potentiometer, it is the fact that the return springing seems to be affected by being exposed more to the elements than in a normal car. I thought it was simply the wrong grade of grease on the spring thickening up in cold weather, but others disagree.

(Jeffinergiraffe) #94

In light of the fact that I am now experiencing the same problem with my Twizy, I have copied the administrator post to Toomey’s Southend. They insist they don’t know about the fault but wasn’t this the dealer you used?

(osbrook) #95

Renault will soon find the fault now they sell in Quebec as that will be cold and damp!
Why did it not occur in Norway? Do people keep the Twizy in a warm garage there?

(Clive) #96

Hi mate i just had a stupid accident tonight i parked my red twizy by gym forgot to put the handbrake i walked in and car must haveslowly rolled back down left wheel hit a wall looks buckled facing inwards all electrics work and drives lets lets see recovery taking it to renault tomorow

(osbrook) #97

Sorry to hear this. Hope it is a cheap fix.