Lower plates redesigning project

Today I’ll remove the two plates under the Twizy to redesign them.
Upgrades:
-Aluminum plate for weight reduction

• vent to cool motor while moving (possible fan installation)
  • vents on the front for the better charger cooling.

Use Roels idea to make use side vents.

Also I’ll be making a stainless mask sil to place over the side upper vents for aesthetic coolness.

Updates within the day

today we had 26 degrees out nd the bloody STOP alarm kept going off…
this will make twizy driving hard at hotter temperatures so i need COOLING ASAP!!!

Do I smell a Twizy weight saving and cooling kit on offer in the future?
Aluminium battery support bars, ventilated aluminium undertrays and stainless side vent plates.
Not sure that we’ll need fan cooling here in the UK, more likely airbag type emergency flotation pods!

Your’re right simon…
And as Simon says… My lower plates will have rubber fins to cover a couple sections (plugs and connectors) from water as I see in the front behind the charger a couple connectros are out in the open.

So its not really just venting, but also weather proofing.

@ALEXAKOS Superb idea! Please get on with it. All the items you mention are wonderful. And perhaps…Simon suggests the aluminium battery support bars.

I have the aluminium support bars here on the shelf and no time to put them under the T. The weight reduction is immense. 20 KG!

Thanx Roel! I remeber you had mentioned it, Do you have a photo or example fo someone who has replaced those?
Maybe they are meant t obe that sturdy to prevent the batteries from cracking when you have a side collision and have oxid fluid all over the place??

already working on it

The weight reduction:

The left one is aluminium; the right one is the cast iron one.

original: 5300gr. (21,2 kg)
aluminium: 740gr. (2,96 kg)

Renault mentions the steel bars in an official German presentation:

‘The cast iron bars are in use as auxiliary weight of each 5 Kilograms and as a reinforcement in case of a side impact from a pole’.

Thats too simple for me Roel;)
Those heat sinks will be kicked off with the first little obstacle.
Plus the major issue is the motor. Not so much the charger,

I promise you a serious replacement that will look professional.

great! thanx for the bars photos. What bars have you got? who made them?

@ALEXAKOS: I think you will do a better job :slight_smile:

regarding the bars> I looked it up. Bought them on eBay.de. HERE
fill in 50 X 30 X 3

You have to cut the bars to 478 mm, fill the ends and drill the holes.
And Alex this is important too. Dago said: noch ein tip für bastler:
mich hatte die grosse toleranz für die äussere bohrung am rahmen gewundert
inzwischen weiss ich warum… die toleranzen sind heftig
daher mein tip: wenn die stangen fertig zum bohren sind, mit etwas fimo oder knete einen abdruck machen
dann bohrt es sich leichter und genauer
…natürlich die ersatzstangen vorher nummerieren und nicht alle 4 gleichzeitig ausbauen…

Fantastic info there Roel!
I suspect those bars also support the battery weight. So using aluminum rods would need additional cylinders through the screws to keep them from bending.

Further investigation needed;)

The weight of both plates are 4,7 kilos. Not too crazy if you consider putting on that weight over the holidays;)
But my main focus was not just weigth reduction but better air flow.
The charger has an idiotic design where the cooling fan ins on the front centre sucking in air… and releasing the hot air in the front again in an angle. In my book this means that the hot air gets circulated nicely back into the fan as the cooling holes are below. So I created a current flow with small flaps to lead the moving cold and hot air.

so far the front plate has been designed.

I have also cosidered extending the cover at the rear end ( right side as you see it) over the charger to battery connector that is exposed to road water and dirt.

See length of current cover and mine.

There will be rubber weather stripping added in the front and flaps to keep rain spray out,

The exposed battery connector mentioned above.

Sounds attractive!

Going on to the rear plate… I dont see why it should be that long?
All that needs protection is the battery plug which renault has left uncovered?
Why? For easy unplugging?

So I halved it, closing the connector gap and creating vent flaps pointing onto the motor.

The view underneath …

No electrical parts that need protection.
The controller on the other hand gets plenty of spray in the rain from the rear left wheel.

awesome to see the development and progress of this

Great work Alex. I took my Cargo to the weighbridge yesterday, how much can you shave off 510kg?

Simon,
I don’t think my mods will offer a value for money significant weight reduction. I suspect the undercarriage plates will be 2 kilos lighter in total. I am more looking an overheating cure. At only 26 degrees Celsius, after a 5 minute highway drive, the Twizy motor overheated. So I am creating vented plates to help the cooling.

As for the horizontal battery support bars of 20 kilos, if I manage to find a sturdy enough replacement for them that may have a weight reduction of max 15 kilos.

I hope to have a pilot next week :wink:

Understood and I appreciate that overheating is a bigger issue. Kenneth’s Power Box has made us much more aware of motor temperature.
My visit to the weighbridge was just curiosity and its easy, as we have one in the middle of town and its free! Interesting that it actually weighs 36kg more than quoted in the Renault spec sheet, perhaps there are some differences with the Cargo.