Modifying Renault Windows

accessories

(Normsthename) #1

Just bought the official Renault Windows, but as you know there is a gap at the front where cold air can rush in.
Had a little thought about the problem and come up with an idea.
I don’t think that you can have anything solidly mounted because I believe the door will hit it when opening and closing.
So I have thought about mounting some door draft excluder with the brushes to the plastic side deflectors.

I plan on attaching it to some small plastic angles and then fixing it to the deflectors with double sided sticky pads.
Need to get a few more pieces together before I can test my theory, but I am hoping it will work!
Will post some pictures once its fitted :smiley:

Andy

(Trevor) #2

Nice one Andy. There is some benefit to a small airflow over the inside of the “window” to keep condensation at bay at the expense of fresh air. The more airtight you make it, the worse misting up will be. But let us know how the mod goes. I have been using the official windows for two weeks now and am starting to notice the little draughts so we are getting spoilt. Go for a drive with the windows off then re-fit them and all will feel good for another week !!!

(Normsthename) #3

To be honest Trevor, I only fitted the windows this morning so I don’t know how bad the air blast will be!
Trying to pluck up courage and venture out this afternoon, but it is so @@@@ Cold! :smiley:

Andy

Spare a thought for us without windows lol

(Normsthename) #5

Spare a thought for us without windows lol

Sorry James :slight_smile:
Braved the elements yesterday afternoon and it is so much better with the windows fitted.
As predicted there is a blast of cold air thru’ the gap.
it is not just the cold air but it also makes quite a noise when travelling fast.
So this morning I had a go at fitting the brushes to the car but failed :frowning:
The Perspex plastic used for the side deflectors will not allow anything to stick to it.
I tried some really sticky Pads but they just peeled off.
I think the brushes will work really well once fitted.
I need to come up with another method of fixing the brushes in place, don’t really want to drill the Plastic…
As a temporary measure I have used some duct tape to fill the gap in, at least I can test if it improves matters :smiley:

Andy

(Trevor) #6

There is a double sided sticky tape called Mammoth Power Grip that will stick on anything (including the scissors) so you might want to try that. Degrease the surface first with an alcohol wipe

Renault Official Windows v2.0
(mender) #7

What about a section of rubber used elsewhere like a car door rubber over the deflector then trimmed to fit?

Some cars have a roof trim over the roof seam (in the little channels where the roof rack mount cut-outs are) which is an inch or so wide rubber and grips a seam about the same thickness as the perspex. A bit of trial and error at the scrapyard with some body/window/boot/roof/trim rubbers?

Just a thought

(Normsthename) #8

What about a section of rubber used elsewhere like a car door rubber over the deflector then trimmed to fit?

Great minds think alike, just what I was thinking! :smiley:
Done a search and found the ideal profile

This is available in the USA and is available upto 3" wide.
I could fit this and then trim it to the exact shape.
Struggling to find a UK supplier :frowning:

Andy

Renault Official Windows v2.0
(mender) #9

Good find :wink:

Let us know how you get on, pics etc

(system) #10

I’ve had windows for a few months and it is true that the first thing you notice is all the draughts appearing from everywhere else. The biggest problem I feel is not the door or window gaps, it is the gaping hole in the pedal area. All cars have the same kind of openings under the dash but the difference with the Twizy is that there is no solid panel the other side of the dash or footwell, i.e. no bulkhead. At full speed the air rams into the front of the twizy and squeezes through every gap in the outer bodywork. Once inside there is nothing to stop it reaching the cabin.

I tried blocking off the holes under the dash but it is a bit of a non starter really - so many different shapes and bits in the way. Resorted to an old coat on my knees and snow boots for the time being. Wherever I have blocked a hole a draught appears from somewhere else more noticeably than before…

Don’t forget - you only have 40 miles of range. The faster you go the less time you have to get cold!

(system) #11

Have you looked on this site: http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/

(Normsthename) #12

The biggest problem I feel is not the door or window gaps, it is the gaping hole in the pedal area.

You are right! Now I have the windows fitted I can feel a breeze around my legs when going fast! :smiley:
I want to try and fill the large triangle shape at the rear to see if there is any improvement.
I will also have a look around the pedal area to see what can be done.
No doubt it will be warmer soon and I will soon forget! :smiley:

Have you looked on this site: http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/

Could’nt see anything suitable :frowning:

Andy

(Trevor) #13

Andy I am going to the states Friday but not back until 23rd Feb. I would be happy to get hold of some seals. emaul me on t.hibdige at npqc dot com if you like to persue this…

(system) #14

Hi guys
Thanks for this link looks a good site. I have also got the renault windows and was fed up with unzipping windows to get in so I attached a cord to the inner handle and between the closed zips attached a discreet plastic toggle/button .
It works fantastic and all you do is grab the window and pull on toggle and it opens . It is so discreet that it would take some figuring out how to open the door which I like . At the rear where the gap is I’ve used a mesh so rain doesn’t come in but the vent still works . My mrs has been the test pilot and now doesn’t get wet !!!
Hope this gives someone some ideas and will post some pic when I get chance :slight_smile: Mark

(Normsthename) #15

Thanks for this link looks a good site. I have also got the renault windows and was fed up with unzipping windows to get in so I attached a cord to the inner handle and between the closed zips attached a discreet plastic toggle/button .

Hi Mark
Do you have some photos?
I am not sure how it works :slight_smile:

Andy

(system) #16

Hi Andy
im working until sat so wont get chance until Sunday . i will post you some photos it works very well .
Cheers Mark

(ItMayJustWork) #17

The left official window on my car doesn’t appear to fit in the gap properly and bangs against the roof of the car. Has anyone else had a similar difference in size problem?

(Normsthename) #18

Yes!
My left window is a fraction too tall and does not fit the gap when closing the door.
You can easily push the window into position from the outside.
I was tempted to squash it in a fraction because there is only a 6 mm steel bar for the frame.
But I decided to get into the habit of only using the right hand door for getting in and out :smiley:

Andy

[quote=“Normsthename;3343”]Yes!
My left window is a fraction too tall and does not fit the gap when closing the door.
You can easily push the window into position from the outside.
I was tempted to squash it in a fraction because there is only a 6 mm steel bar for the frame.
But I decided to get into the habit of only using the right hand door for getting in and out :smiley:

Andy[/quote]

Not good enough for a £300 accessory though is it?

(ItMayJustWork) #20

Cant squash mine into the gap, it’s too tall. It just pushes out the moment I drive up the road.