Smart Brake Module

accessories

(Kuki Bajker) #1

Does it bother you that on Twizy brake light not turning on when you release the gas pedal and braking with motor? If nothing else it’s dangerous because of a colision from a car behind you. I’m testing this device. It is made primarily for motorcycles, but it also works on Twizy. It has two modes of operation when you brake with motor. Steady brake light and flashing brake light. I realy like the flashing option. So there’s difference on the brake light between motor and pedal braking.

link - BUY

You can also try with promo code LIFETIME20 for 20% discount and lifetime warranty. Not sure if this code still works (pre-season 2019 discount)

(Peter) #2

Sounds interesting.

I’ve been playing with the regen settings since fitting a PowerBox.

For this very reason I’ve reduced the regen when lifting off the accelerator.

(Kuki Bajker) #3

I installed the Smart Brake Module today in our 2016 Twizy.

OK, it worked, but I was very disappointed to see that every time the module kicks in the “SERV” warning comes up in the dashboard.

That is for me not usable in the Twizy, so I disconnected the device. It’s a shame, because the device itself is a great product.

marxx

(Kuki Bajker) #5

I somehow like that SERV light. It’s nothing wrong with the car beacouse of this, but it’s good indicator light to know when SBM is working.

I like it a bit more quiet in my dashboard :slight_smile:

I ordered two 1N4001 diodes and will try something like this:

I will install the diodes after my vacation and will then post some pictures.

Greetinx

marxx

(Kuki Bajker) #7

So with this you’ll cancel that SERV light?

Yes.

In the wiring diagram the switch is the Smart Brake Module. The diodes will block the current back to the pedal switch. So the CAN bus won’t detect a brake light on with a brake switch closed. That is the theory … But I’m quite convinced it should also work in practice :slight_smile:

Oh, you need the bridge between the brake wires because of the diodes.

marxx

(Toby) #9

I am very interested to hear if the above works…the theory does perfectly as you say. I will buy one of the smart units when you confirm as the SERV light would annoy me and also probably cause a UK MOT fail.

I hope I can install the diodes after my vacation in the beginning of September. I will post the results.

marxx

(Toby) #11

I have just ordered a brake module and will check which diodes I already have. The discount code worked a treat too so thanks for all the info on this thread.

I have my regen set quite high at 350 / 1000 on lift off so it does make sense to connect up the brake lights.

(Toby) #12

they sent me this link for when the voucher code expires, it gives a 10% discount to the user and a 7 euro credit for the referrer.

(Kuki Bajker) #13

In the wiring diagram the switch is the Smart Brake Module. The diodes will block the current back to the pedal switch. So the CAN bus won’t detect a brake light on with a brake switch closed. That is the theory … But I’m quite convinced it should also work in practice :slight_smile:

Oh, you need the bridge between the brake wires because of the diodes.

Done this today, only with 1N4005 diodes (same type, only for up to 125volts instead up to 50 volts), but it doesn’t work :persevere:. I still get the SERV light lit when SBM working. :thinking: I’m thinking now if the computer can detect the amount of current through the ground wire and recognize the difference between 10 wats working and 52 wats working…? Ground wire is the same as for the position lights… When this is the case we can’t do much, beacouse the direction of current flow goes in the opposite way in the ground wire and we can’t stop that with the diode. If we do that, none of the lights will lit.

Hmmmm, that is bad news …

Do you have pictures of your wiring?

Thanx

marxx

(Kuki Bajker) #15

I’we done like your diagram shows. So diodes goes on Twizy’s white (+ brake) wires and the bridge is conected to the same wires between diodes and bulbs…

I’m thinking another option… Maybe there this is not the case at all. When I think about my unsucesfull tries of changing bulbs with LEDs, there was the same problem. Maybe there are just the wrong input amount of the current trought the + position wire when supply the brake’s bulbs too… I will try with seperate + wire from the front of the Twizy where I have conected DIY interior light and disconect it from the + position wire.

I realy don’t belive that the - wire is somehow conected to the computer

Yeah, I agree.

A separate + wire would be my try too …

Just a remark to be sure. The SBM needs to be connected behind the diode. You probably did that, but just in case …

(Kuki Bajker) #18

Just a remark to be sure. The SBM needs to be connected behind the diode. You probably did that, but just in case …

Yes I did that, of course. And have a bad news, neither seperate + wire did not solve the problem. I took the wire conection of the 12V lighter socket from the drawer… diodes are still there… so, no conection with lights at all on + wire and still have a SERV signal :frowning: I need to sleep on it…

(Kuki Bajker) #19

F***ING computer :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::rage::robot:

Very strange … You have measured the diodes, if they really do their job?

I will install the diodes in the beginning of September. Curious what the final solution will be …