Smart EQ First Impressions

smart-eq

(James Cook) #1

Picked up my Smart EQ fortwo today.

First impressions are that it’s a really great car for the money. I will post better photos and a small review in the coming days.

Yes! This is the thread I’ve been waiting for. Can’t wait to hear what you think, I’m very close to pulling the trigger myself on one of these so keep us up to date :grinning:

(plugin) #3

Looking forward to hearing how you’ve got on with the Smart - especially the range!

(James Cook) #4

Yep! I’m purposefully giving myself a week with it before posting here. Will post my thoughts in a couple day.

Let’s see how long it stays that nice and clean, James. :slight_smile: One positive thing about the Smart is that it’s much quicker to wash than a Zoe!

If anyone’s interested, I’ve been logging my average monthly range here since I got my EQ ForTwo in July: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Am9b8N6VhG5JximgODYYCQ8v7xWu3CDvWY65_Gn95Gk/edit#gid=0 And I make short monthly reports here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH_PwIAtEe4xGZ_Y9ucZdBg

So far my range has dropped by about 20% since the summer and I’m expecting it to drop to around 35% at the peak of the winter. In fairness, though, I’m driving 77 miles/115Km a day. So it’s not exactly being used as a ‘town’ car.

(James Cook) #6

Hi @Stuart!

Great to see another Smart owner on the forum. Quick question, did you order the black wheels on your Smart or did it just come like that?

I never received any options for the wheels I wanted, and on the website it doesn’t allow you to configure the wheels.

They’re actually Dezent TS wheels (https://www.dezent-wheels.com/EN/products#!wheel=dezent-ts). I wanted the TS Dark model but the factory had apparently ran out of stock. I couldn’t wait until they’d made a new batch so I just bought the stanard TS silver model and had them powder coated black. Because I need to also use winter tyres I bought these as a second set of wheels and use the original Smart wheels with winter tyres.

The TS range are actually the exact same size as the standard 15" Smart wheels. I was told they’re actually the only company who make wheels at the exact same size as Smart. If you watch the Smart EQ ForTwo Cup videos you’ll see the TS model being used by most of those cars.

When I ordered the car I had the option to get several different types of wheels (15" and 16") but decided not to go with them as I would have also had to buy the ‘sports pack’ at the same time. …which as far as I could tell was just a few extra go faster stripes, aluminium pedals and then the extra cost of 16" wheels and tyres. It wasn’t possible to order 16" wheels separately for some strange reason.

(James Cook) #8

You had the option of a sports pack?! I probably would have gone for that if I’d been offered it, but it’s either not an option anymore or it’s a secret option. It’s not on the website nor did my dealer mention it to me.

Anyway, those wheels look nice, could be tempted to get a black set to match the rest of the car.

I think the sports pack thing was a leftover from when the car was still branded as Smart Electric Drive. As I mentioned somewhere else on the forum, I ordered my car (in January 2018) before the whole EQ rebranding so technically I’d ordered an Electric Drive model but was very please to get a car with the new EQ badging on it. :slight_smile: It took roughly six months from order to delivery with my car. That’s why I was caught in the middle of the rebrand.

(James Cook) #10

Ah that makes sense. You could have had a very unique car if you’d combined the old options with the new branding!

Interesting about the lead times, @James your car only took a couple of months to arrive? Was yours already in the system?

(James Cook) #12

Yeah my car was already at the factory when I ordered it. He found one with the spec I wanted. It still felt like I long enough wait though! Still haven’t forgotten about posting a decent review, just haven’t had much time this week. Will get to it hopefully sometime this weekend!