Smart EQ First Impressions

smart-eq

Yeah my car was already at the factory when I ordered it. He found one with the spec I wanted. It still felt like I long enough wait though! Still haven’t forgotten about posting a decent review, just haven’t had much time this week. Will get to it hopefully sometime this weekend!

Hi James, I am Smart EQ owner too. Ordered in Feb 2018, got it in July 2018, very happy.

Do you use Smart EQ App? It has recently changed from Website version to proper App, which is fine but since then it’s down & recover several times, then now Pre Climate control doesn’t seem to work (either connected or disconnected).

Is yours working OK (= just mine) or do you have problem too (= App problem).

Many thanks for any information :frowning:

Marmite

Would be great to see how you’re getting on with it James :wink:

(m1n1s) #15

Hey Marmite,

How is the app? I tried to get my local smart dealer to hook me up but after three months they are not interested or helpful to get it working for me?

Hi there

My dealer arranged somebody to send me the link to have app (then only via website) and it worked OK though some feature are not relevant to UK. In early Dec web version stopped working and some app introducing screen appeared, and I logged in no problem. It looks better but as I mentioned, Pre climate function hasn’t been working just before the switching to app version. I have emailed to several contacts but nobody interested so far.

In order to use app you do need to push your dealer to contact somebody to set up the link between your email address and car reg.

I just hope pre climate function will start working soon, this is the time when I need it in the morning!!!

Hope your dealer will do something about it soon for you.

Kind Regards

I initially did have an issue with the app not working, but this seemed to fix itself after a few days. My pre climate control works through the app, I turned it on when I was sitting inside the car to check this.

However, I have had issues with the radio and sat nav system. Basically, the signal is just terrible. The car icon on the sat nav is also not in the correct position, it seems to lag behind my actual position. This makes the sat nav useless when you’re in a major city with lots of turns, as you can never figure out where you are on the map. As for the radio, it constantly cuts in and out. I’ve just made sure I use Spotify through my phone and my phone’s sat nav for now, but not great for a brand new car.

I’m going to get in touch with my dealer after Christmas about this as I’m sure there must be a fault somewhere. Has anyone else noticed these issues?

Hi James
Thank you for the reply, ok so it’s my app - car problem then. Dealer seems take it as app problem and just keep telling me to contact app technicial help directly and they do respond but veeeerrrryy slowly and intermittently. I will try again after Xmas.

One more question though, does your EQ have winter package ie heated seat and wheel, if so Pre climate control activate those as well? Mine has and had been activated with original web app few times then it never happened again. I’m sure my dealer mentioned it whilst sales talk!

As for my Sat Nav, it is working fine, I’m always current position. Previous smart sat nav only took 4 digit post code which was a pain for 6 digits UK post code, but it’s now takes 6 so no prob there. I still wish there is one push easy cancel navigation button though.

Hope your Sat Nav problem will be sorted out in the New year for great start!

Merry Xmas
R

No the pre conditioning just turned on the fan heater, not the heated steering wheel or seats (yes I have the winter pack).

Does your radio signal stay constant as well or does it cut out from time to time?

I usually listen my old Ipod via USB, but from time to time switch to DAB radio and have never had problem. My precious normal Smart didn’t have DAV but it was fine too, though again I didn’t listen it frequently.

Saw my first gen 2 Smart For Two here. Looked fab!

Just thought to put this document here - the 3rd paragraph mentions heated seat/wheel automatically activated etc. I guess it’s old version & information of which my dealer was relied upon early 2018, and this feature was dropped somewhere on the line.

Ahh, that’s talking about scheduled pre entry climate control. I used the manual pre entry climate control and assumed they’d be the same. Maybe not.

The reason I haven’t used scheduled is because it’s a real faff to set up. Rather than being able to set a time and activate that departure time in one go, the app makes you change the departure time first and then activate it. This is fine for most apps, but this takes a while because you have to wait for a response from the car for both steps. It also saves these times so you have to change them every time (assuming you’re not leaving at the same time every day).

Hmmm - but whilst the 2nd para is talking about scheduled connected pre control (and clearly says depends on the difference from outside temp heated seat/wheel activated), the 3rd para is talking about spontaneous manual pre entry climate control, then at the end it also mention about heated seat/wheel. They don’t specify what is the criteria that app decide to activate, perhaps in Germany unless it’s minus 10 they think they don’t need it!??

The recent update of App made two timings to set (web version was only one I seem to remember?), so I was going to use one usual morning timing & other for slight later time depends on the day of the week. If I know it will be freezing tomorrow morning, I connect the cord, leave it and use the App … that was my plan.

I just wish what are the supposed to be outcome - at the moment all I want is either pre control to work again :frowning_face:

Let’s hope the better Smart EQ year of 2019!! They should, since all Smart car will be EQ in the future…!

R

Just closing my post above, at long last Mercedes app support team in Germany reboot the connection, I delete the app, drove around 2-3 miles, come home, re-install the app, and all is good now. All in all it took 2 months. The person on the other side of chat is very helpful, but it took long time for the actual tech team to act.

FYI: I only have the option to pre-heat using the in-car menu. This activates the heater, heated seats and heated steering wheel for me. I’ve noticed that I need to arrive on time in order to not let the car start to cool down, though. It seems to stop at the time which you set in the pre-heat menu, not when you open the car door (which makes sense).

No EQ Control app in Finland - and probably never will be! :rage: Daimler have also now removed the old Smart Connect app from the App Store and Google Play, but I still have it on my phone.

(smartymcfly) #27

Great topic guys…
I just bought an EQ too. I’m really surprised at what a good car it is.
Anyone here has experience with fast charging?
The fastest I am managing to charge is at 7KW (Shown on Dash Display while charging)
Has anyone seen charging at a faster rate? i.e. a bigger number than 7KW on the dash display?

I’ve charged at 22kw on Ecotricity at service stations. Did you upgrade to the 22kw charger?

I cannot find much information on the capabilities and what you can do with the SMART EQ app. I really like the idea of turning climate control on to prep the car before I get there to save me those winter warm ups!

I would be really grateful to hear just what can be done with the app while the EQ is not plugged in and what functions (besides charging) it needs to be plugged in for? And really, can I warn the car up remotely when the EQ is not plugged in?!
Many thanks,
Devon

(Chris) #30

We’ve got a Smart ForFour EQ (22 kW charge, 68 reg) and on the whole love it.
There is one snag though, it doesn’t like being charged by our MyEnergi Zappi. After almost a year of complaining and multiple times on their diagnostic tools, the car is now with our local Mercedes garage waiting for a new battery.
I’d be interested to hear if anyone else has a Zappi and Smart EQ.
Chris

Below is a little more detail I posted some time ago from a different thread:
I’d be interested to hear if anyone has a MyEnergi Zappi charger and if they have had any charging issues.

We have a Zappi (and PV Solar) and use it to charge our Smart forfour EQ.
If you don’t know the Zappi, it essentially allows you to charge the car on the excess energy from a renewable source that would otherwise be going out to the grid.
It has various charge modes, one of which (eco +) allows you to charge from the excess solar only, so if the sun goes in and the excess drops below a certain level (defined in an industry wide charging spec) the charging is paused.
Our Smart doesn’t seem to like this pause, reports an error on the dash, tells us to take it to a workshop and will not start for ~15 mins. Mercedes have had it on their diagnostics and tell us nothing is wrong with the car.

We don’t have any issues in the other charging modes offered by the Zappi (a 7kWh ‘fast’ and an eco where the PVs are boosted by the grid when the sun goes in so charging is not paused).

The good people at MyEnergi tell me this is not a problem with the cars they have tested with (Jag, Renault, Nissan, Tesla).
Mercedes/Smart don’t seem to be interested in having a dialog about the problem which is inexcusable given we have just bought a new car off them – it sound from the responses that we have had from them that they just don’t understand the problem and seem to think I have some heath-robinson system where I’ve directly connected the car to the PV panels!
They have now said the problem is closed and they are not willing to talk further – terrible customer service.

I’d be interested in hearing any experiences of others, positive or negative in this area.

(John Wilson) #31

I have used the instant and timed preheat in the cold spell, using the app to to start the instant heat and set the times for delayed starts. If you are using the granny cable (13 amp plug type), the time delay start doesn’t work for me on my ForFour EQ, but I have just had a Pod-Point 7kw charger installed and the timed reheat does work, though it seems a bit flaky at times. I’ve never tried to preheat with the car not plugged in, but even if it did work, I would strongly say “Don’t”, as the heater gobbles up the range at an alarming rate. I’ve noticed that selecting heating when driving, drops from 70 mile start range to 50 mile or less range immediately. I drive in Eco mode all the time and this restricts the use of the heater, so I tend to use the seat/steering wheel heating, which has no noticeable effect on range.