Today I

twizy

(Peter) #1

I’ve seen on other forums long running threads about what people have done to / with their vehicles and thought it would be great to do the same here.

So, whether it’s a modification, a repair, a journey or just a good clean, lets see pictures of and hear stories about your Twizy.

:slight_smile:

(Peter) #2

Polished my track rods.

(Peter) #3

Removed the front panel and found some very loose bolts on the brake pedal / accelerator unit!

Now correctly torqued.

(Peter) #4

Removed the rear panel and repaired a broken fixing.

(Peter) #5

Inspected the indicators for possible clear replacements and gave the original ones a polish.

(Peter) #6

Had a cat scan.

(Peter) #7

Removed, carefully dismantled, inspected, rebuilt and refitted my charger due to a 12v charging issue.

I hoped the two touching resistors might be the problem but unfortunately not.

Still unresolved…

(Peter) #8

Replaced my charger.

No fault lights now.

(Peter) #9

Had a play around with an idea for daytime running lights.

The plan was for them to come on with the ignition but turn both turn off when the headlights are on and individually turn off when indicating.

I’m not overly keen on the visible yellow ring though so having a rethink.

(Peter) #10

Today I completed my first 1000 miles in the Twizy, 4 months after purchse. 174kWh of electricity consumed, costing £25.16 so ~2.5p per mile.

(Peter) #11

Drove from Matlock to Chesterfield and back to do the weekly shop.

Went through a thunder storm on the way home but, fortunately, missed the worst of it!

(Peter) #12

Went to McDonalds, two aboard.

There was a burning smell on the way home, which turned out to be caused by one of the caliper handbrake linkages sticking!

Worked in some oil then applied some grease.

All seems ok now.

(osbrook) #13

Yep needs to be checked regularly

(Peter) #14

Nipped to Chesterfield for shopping and visiting and was spotted on the way there.

(Toby) #15

I just drove 38 miles one way to the Wrapping place to have my camo wrap done.

I made it with 5 miles spare range left when I got there…that was full on Range anxiety. I stopped at Sainsbury’s but in 40 mins their 7kw charger added 2% to the battery. My 3 pin plug at home does WAY more than that.

Will post pics of the wrap v soon

(osbrook) #16

The Twizy doesn’t always cope with high voltages - depends on Charger installed in the Twizy. But 40mins should have added around 20% - 1% every 2 mins.

(Toby) #17

Thanks Osbrook.

It was a 7kw charge station and I looked on the comments and some Zoe owners had said that it was slow there. I was using the type2 adapter. I guess I could get one of those volt clamps to see what the lead is drawing / supplying? Yes, I expected about 20% based on what my 3 pin does at home.

My garage has bigger amp ring main than normal but I assume the 3 pin is 13 amp max anyway?

My compressor draws 16 amps as do my ramps and I expect the welder does a lot too.

(osbrook) #18

Twizy Chargers are both approx 10amps draw the last 3% it drops right off while it does the balancing.

The Mk 1 Twizy charger doesn’t work over 246V AC and will actually discharge the traction battery but not sure how.

The issue with ALL EV charging with a 3 pin plug is not the current drawn instantaneously but the length of time it draws such a large current. Even your compressor is only on few a few minutes at a time so allows the socket to cool down if warm. It’s the same for kettles. However electric fires are like the EV charging and those are the devices that cause the fires in poorly wired houses.

As @peter-ss found, his House Solar panels pushed up the Ring voltage (while exporting) and caused his Twizy not to charge on Sunny days. :slight_smile: Solved now at a price.

(Toby) #19

Thanks for explaining. I wonder if a newer charger would be a straight swap? I know the PowerBox post 2016 needs a controller swap but I wonder if I might be able to source a newer version from a crashed Twizy, I saw a breaker in Poland had Twizy’s

(osbrook) #20

@peter-ss has done exactly that very recently. He even provided instructions and Pictures and in this thread. Just back to the top and follow down.